CREATING ALIGNMENT WITH KPIs
Your KPIs are what connect your design work to business goals and the strategic direction. KPIs are able to align different teams across the whole company and have them working towards the same strategic objective.
WHEN TO USE IT
When in need to integrate designers, analytics teams and business teams.
Use it to create a concise way to keep actions on track, going towards the same strategic direction.
Use it to focus on actions that teams need to take, instead of the usual outcomes, which measure output after action.
Use it to attribute accountability and reward success for different teams, with combined cross-teams KPIs.
✔ DEFINITELY DO
Make sure to frame the new learnings as opportunities to champion the impact of their work. Also, remind them they are the ones helping to design them, and that is the path to get attention (and budgets) from management.
KPIs can be intimidating. Avoid relating KPIs to performance reviews, since they already exist, somehow, in the company.
HOW TO USE IT
1. Set up a the meeting workshop, from 7-10 participants
2. Reinforce the exploratory aspect of the meeting.
3. Distribute fun, playful example cases among groups of 2-4 people.
4. Teams work together in solutions for the problems contained in the example cases.
5. Now, teams create leading and lagging KPIs for the solutions they have created.
6. Teams are invited to assign KPIs to different teams, according to what they are accountable for.
7. Teams present their solutions and KPIs to other participants.
8. Teams are invited reflect and discuss on how day-to-day could benefit from the KPI setting.
9. As a last exploratory exercise, teams are invited to come up with a crazy-8 use cases for KPI setting in their day to day work. Those will be considered by the facilitator / process owner to further the implementation of KPI setting among teams.